Thursday, May 12, 2011

Slowly Getting Organized

Hello again everyone (or whoever is reading this!). I just wanted to take a moment to update you all on my attempts at starting to save some money! I'll probably start posting a little more once I get past the "organization phase" of my new hobby.

So, how am I getting organized? Well, couponing in 2011 is way different from when I did it back in the 1990s. Back then I had a small index card box I used to put my coupons in and a big box to put my overstock coupons in. That was sufficient! I only clipped what I thought I needed and that was that. I had to make trips to the store each week to see what was on sale and hope that I recognized all the deals.

Today, it's a lot simpler or at least that is the way it seems to me. You can print certain coupons from the Internet. You can find several blogs where bloggers post the deals for the week. I even have better access to coupons, even though I am in a different atmosphere than before.

My organization plan, for now, is to use my little coupon book for all my coupons I am using at the moment. The "extras" are put into the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet. I arrange the "extras" by the date I got them and don't actually clip them until I need them. In other words, the whole coupon insert is placed there until I need them. Today, I pulled out the last of my 5/8 Smart Source coupons for the Martha Holmes products and Trina will get them later on. I had 10 inserrts to begin with and had used 8 of the coupons so now I will use the final two.

How do I find deals? I usually frequent a couple of blogs, actually several right now but I am developing a list of favorites. I am trying to weed out the good from the bad. There are some that will post "Free" items but you would have to use the coupon in the wrong way to do so. I don't like this because in the long run it will hurt all the couponers! I'll have a list of my faves soon.

That brings me to another thought. Coupon Ethics. Is it right to use a coupon in a way it is not meant? For instance, in the above mentioned scenarion Wal-Mart has the small bottle of Purex on sale for $2.97 and the coupon that was mentioned to be used to get it free was for $3 off the larger, 150 oz. size. It might be that the cashier wouldn't recognize it and the coupon might scan and you get the smaller free but is that ethical? I don't believe so. If I am going to do this, I want to be legit! So, look for a post soon on coupon ethics.

One more thing. My sister has written and asked me for help in getting started couponing. I think instead of just responding to her alone, I may post a series of articles on how to get started. I'm not an expert but I believe we can all learn together. Some of you may be more "seasoned" than me and I would love your input also!

So, that's it for today. I'm sorry I just seem to be scattershooting right now but I just have so much going on it's pitiful!

Have a great day everyone!

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment