Monday, February 21, 2011

Nice Discovery On My Genealogy Blog!

I just wanted to stop by and let everyone know that I was able to recover quite a bit of my blog yesterday.If you don't know the story, let me tell you.

In May of last year, my web site was up for renewal. They sent me a message about it but I was busy moving to North Carolina, trying to find a job, dealing with our living situation and so many other things! In the process of all of this, I let my website fall of the grid due to lack of payment.

When I realized this, I called GoDaddy (my host) and immediately paid to have my domain renewed. That was no problem, however, all of the files that were on my domain were held captive. At least that is the way I like to look at it. They renewed my domain but to release the files they still had there, I would have to pay them an extra $150! I thought about this and, being as I knew I had a backup of most of my site, I told them I wouldn't pay it and had to start from a clean slate!

My web site was backed up but I didn't have a working backup of my blog. I had to start over completely. I reinstalled WordPress, got my blog back up and running, and figured all of those posts were gone for good.

Until yesterday!

I found a file that contained all my original posts from March 2007 to December 2008. It was a quick and easy import into my blog but now I have a lot of work to do to make sure that everything integrated as it should.

The beauty of it is that I didn't lose everything. In reading back through it all, I have found several posts that I am so glad to have recovered. Posts about my Dad, my Mom, my son's graduation and a series about how Dad loved dirt-track racing. There are so many cool posts that I recovered.

So, for those who like nostalgia, feel free to drop by my genealogy blog and check out some of the old posts! The blog name is Beyond Fiction!

Have a nice Monday everyone!

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment