Thursday, February 17, 2011

Embracing Technology

I've been thinking a lot today about how my family uses technology. There are some of my family members who are on Facebook. Some are there just for games, some to keep up with everyone and some are just "there" and rarely check in! I've found one or two who actually have a web site or run a blog.

There are some members of my family, however, who I cannot find a digital footprint for. Is this because they don't want to be a part of technology? Is it because they are afraid of technology? Maybe they just feel like they are too old to be a part of it!

15 years ago I could have understood this! The internet was new and folks weren't really sure what to make of it. Today, the internet and social networking is so commonplace that you wonder why some folks don't embrace it.

There are a ton of things to consider when discussing this topic. I think one of the main ones would be the fear of identity theft. It's true you have to be vigilant about protecting your information. I wish there were a way to comfort people's fear of this. There are so many ways to protect yourself, the main one being to just use common sense. I've been online for over 15 years now and I've never had any problems. Of course, if someone stole my identity they would probably end up giving me money! :-)

What are some of the reasons that folks don't want an online presence? I'm curious about this! Would anyone be willing to share why their family doesn't want to be online? I'm sure they all have cell phones. Why not make the jump to the internet? There are a few who are online but have family members who aren't. Would any of you be willing to share a little insight as to why that is?

On a side note, I recently learned that my oldest sister just got her a Yahoo! email address! Woo Hoo! Baby steps, baby steps! I'm proud of you sis! :-)

Have a good one everyone!

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment